Maintenance Worker (Cemetery)
Company: Government jobs
Location: Deerfield Beach
Posted on: January 23, 2023
Performs unskilled and semi-skilled manual work involving the
maintenance of grounds, streets, utilities, athletic fields and
general maintenance of City and community facilities. Performs a
variety of tasks involving above-average physical effort, and
operation of power tools and equipment requiring some manipulative
skills and the ability to work without constant supervision once
tasks are learned. Work is performed under close or moderate
supervision of Division Managers, Supervisors or Crew Leaders and
is reviewed while in progress and upon completion through direct
observation to ensure accuracy and completeness.
Examples of Duties
Salary Range $17.95 - $22.89
- Performs manual and/or laboring activities and general
maintenance tasks in area of assignment.
- Depending on area of assignment may operate or assist with the
operation of a variety of power tools, light and/or heavy
equipment, and motorized vehicles.
- Performs routine grounds maintenance activities such as mowing
and edging lawns, planting and trimming hedges.
- Lays out, plants, trims, weeds, fertilizes, and applies mulch
to flower and landscape beds.
- Cleans graffiti from City streets and structures.
- Cleans sidewalks, awnings, City buildings and recreation
facilities as needed.
- Secures various City facilities as needed.
- Sets up chairs, tables, and other equipment for activities as
- Assists street maintenance crews in removing and compacting
earth with shovels, clearing debris, picking up litter, and
carrying tools and equipment.
- Picks up and disposes of dead animals as is applicable.
- Cleans and sanitizes City beach.
- Loads and unloads materials on trucks; transports employees,
materials, tools and/or equipment to and from appropriate
- Ensures availability of needed materials and supplies.
- Visually checks equipment and report maintenance or repair
problems at the beginning and the end of the workday, assuring
equipment is properly equipped, serviced and cleaned.
- Assists in the installation and maintenance of irrigation
systems, equipment and related components.
- Performs custodial and general maintenance work for the City's
utility facilities and grounds as is applicable.
- Perform installation, construction, maintenance, and repair of
various parts, equipment, and machinery involved in the water
distribution and wastewater collection systems as applicable.
- Dig trenches and weld pipes as applicable.
- Assist in the preparation of facilities for special events and
24-hour emergency callouts as is applicable.
- Construct, repair, and maintain baseball, softball, soccer, and
other types of athletic fields as needed.
- Keep a logbook of all activities at each system as is
- May perform work in confined space rescue.
- Attend meetings as required.
- Provide customer service to the public.
- Lays out burial plots according to maps.
- Communicates with Funeral Directors and families as
- Operate heavy machinery needed for the site preparation of the
- Check grave markers list and supervise the placement of
- Inspects grounds, facilities, and equipment routinely to
determine the necessity of repairs or maintenance.
- Drives vehicles to city sites.
- Keeps logbook of all staff activities as is applicable.
- May perform work in confined space rescue.
- Perform all other related duties as required.
Education and Experience:
High School Diploma or equivalent
Florida Driver's License. (Must remain valid throughout
At least six (6) months of experience in building and grounds
maintenance, general construction, mechanical trades or custodial
Skills, Work Environment and Hours
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of equipment, materials, and tools used in
construction, grounds maintenance, utilities, or routine painting
- Knowledge of proper safety practices, procedures and
regulations application to work being performed.
- Knowledge of the equipment, methods and materials used in
- Knowledge of the proper methods and procedures used in cleaning
work areas and equipment.
- Skill in the use and care of tools, equipment and
- Skill in establishing and maintaining good working
relationships with other City employees and the public.
- Ability to take oral and/or written instructions.
- Ability to use or repair small, medium, and heavy equipment and
The physical demands involve balancing, climbing, crawling,
crouching, depth perception, driving, feeling, grasping, handling,
hearing, kneeling, lifting, mental acuity, near acuity, pulling,
pushing, reaching, repetitive motion, speaking, standing, stooping,
talking, visual acuity, and walking. May be required to exert up to
50 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 30 pounds of force
frequently, and/or up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move
The worker is subject to inside environmental conditions:
protection from weather conditions but not necessarily from
temperamental changes (i.e. warehouses, covered loading docks,
garages, etc). The worker is subject to outside environmental
conditions: no effective protection from the weather. The worker is
subject to extreme cold: temperatures below 32 degrees for periods
of more than one hour. The worker is subject to extreme heat:
temperatures above 100 degrees for periods of more than one hour.
The worker is subject to noise: there is sufficient noise to cause
the workers to shout in order to be heard above the surrounding
noise level. The worker is subject to hazards: includes a variety
of physical conditions, such as proximity to moving mechanical
parts, electrical current, working on scaffolding and high places
or exposure to chemicals. The worker is subject to atmospheric
conditions: one or more of the following conditions that affect the
respiratory system or the skin: fumes, odors, dust, mists, gases or
poor ventilation. The worker is subject to oils: there is air
and/or skin exposure to oils and other cutting fluids. The employee
works in a dynamic environment that requires them to be sensitive
to change and responsive to changing goals, priorities, and
Hours of Work: Monday-Friday Varies 7:00AM-3:30PM (with nights,
weekends and holiday hours as required.)
Emergency Management Responsibilities
Note: During emergency conditions, all City employees are
automatically considered emergency service workers. City employees
are subject to being called to work in the event of a disaster,
such as hurricane, or other emergency situations and are expected
to perform emergency service duties as assigned.
*The City of Deerfield Beach values the service veterans and their
family members have given to our country and supports the hiring of
returning service members and military spouses. *
*The City of Deerfield Beach is an Equal Employment Opportunity
THIS RECRUITMENT MAY CLOSE AT ANYTIME WITHOUT NOTICE, ONCE A
SUFFICIENT NUMBER OF QUALIFIED APPLICATIONS HAVE BEEN RECIEVED.
CANDIDATES ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY AT THEIR EARLIEST
2023 City of Deerfield Beach Benefit Highlight Booklet
01 Each applicant must complete this supplemental questionnaire as
a part of the application screening and selection process. The
information you provide will be reviewed and used to determine your
eligibility to move forward in the selection process. Incomplete
responses, false statements, omissions, or partial information may
result in disqualification from the selection process. Do you agree
to answer each supplemental question truthfully and that your
responses can be verified from the information included within the
02 Please read the job description and salary range carefully-does
your application indicate relevant, verifiable experience required
for this position? Have you updated your Master Profile to reflect
all recent changes? Resumes submitted in lieu of completed
education and work experience on the formal application may be
deemed incomplete and may not be eligible for considerations for
the vacancy. By answering 'Yes', you are confirming that you meet
the minimum qualifications, and the employment experience on your
application is current as of the date of submission.
03 Which of the following best describes your highest level of
- Less than High School
- High School Diploma or Equivalent
- Associate's Degree
- Bachelor's Degree
- Master's Degree or higher
04 Do you have possession of or ability to obtain a valid Florida
driver's license prior to start date (must remain valid throughout
05 Which of the following best describes your experience in
building and grounds maintenance, general construction or
mechanical trades? Your response must be validated by the
information provided in the WORK EXPERIENCE section of your
- Less than one year
- More than 1 year but less than 2 years
- More than 2 years but less than 3
- More than 3 years but less than 4
- 4 years or more
* Required Question
Keywords: Government jobs, Deerfield Beach , Maintenance Worker (Cemetery), Professions , Deerfield Beach, Florida
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!